Computer Equipment Source

Warren Fisher fish@communique.net
Sat, 25 Jan 1997 15:31:37 -0800

Barrie Heaton wrote:

> Is there a web site for the Company you got your equipm,ent from?

I got my converter from Sam's Wholesale Club which I doubt you have over
there.  I have since started buying all my equipment from CompUSA.  I
just looked in their catalog and they do have converters like mine.
What I like about these people is their terms "no payment, no interest
for 6 months" on purchases with their corporate credit card!
Their website is www.pcscompleat.com

My
> tape streamer is now up and running and backs up the two hard drives
> fully once a week and tops up every night this is done automatic as my
> computers are never switched off until I have a pwer cut.

I got one of those too after my crash. (Horses and barn doors?)

> I have looked at some of the equipment available foir overcoming power
> loss, the ones I have seen only give you ten minutes shut down time and
> then you lose all which I thought was a waste of space as if I am out,
> or asleep, then I won't know if we've had a power cut. at present there
> is a lot of major vivil engenineering going on round me, new motorways,
> new gas pipes, new cables for the cable Companies, and the final culprit
> the water board are laying new water mains and they were responsible for
> hacking through the cables last weekend.
> > Barrie.

Ten minutes is enough if you have automatic backup on your tape drive. A
shut down from a battery backup is different from a power cut from the
power utility.  They are dealing with a whole lot of voltage and amps
and you almost always get surges when they shut it down on purpose, much
less having a cut cable!  My power supply beeps when the voltages start
changing and it'll start 5-10 seconds BEFORE the lights go out!  If you
are away or asleep and the ten minutes runs out, it turns the power off
just like you would the switch on the front of your machine.  The only
data that should be lost is that which is unsaved. It certainly won't
kill programs!  If you are at the computer, the ten minutes allows you
to save data and shut down the machine correctly before the power goes
off.

I have Norton Utilities with it's Godsend "Disk Doctor" on my computers.
It checks for lost chains and disk errors automatically whenever the
computer boots and fixes the problems before they become problems.
Incidently, you should shut your computer down at least once a week
because a lot of programs soak up memory and don't give it back when you
close the program,  only when the computer shuts down!

Good luck

Warren

--
Warren D. Fisher