Possible ink/magic marker cleaners for ivories.

ROLLAND MILLER 70642.3604@CompuServe.COM
Mon, 27 Jan 1997 15:54:15 -0500 (EST)

Hello list,

Recently I had to clean magic marker off of a set of old ivories.  The magic
marker had been used to color the blacks but no topcoat was put over the magic
marker.  I imagine that oil from the finger tips washed out some of the black
and it smeared onto the whites.

Key-Brite didn't seem to help and neither did Murphy's Oil Soap.  Two pruducts
that did help were:

o  "Lift off", a 5 oz spray can distributed by Locktite Corporation.  This can
be purchased at hardware      stores.  It's used to disolve stains and
adhesives.

o  "De-Solv-it",  a liquid that comes in a 16 oz plastic bottle.  It is
manufactured by Orange-Sol Inc.,           Chandler, AZ 85244.  I purchased two
bottles at Wholesale Club about 5 years ago and it does a good     job with many
adhesives and stains.

o  Neither  of the above products got it all off. (I used both.)  They took off
enough that all I had left were     a few small spots that I bleached out.

I'm not a chemist but I don't believe that either of the above products would
harm ivory.  If some one reads this post who is familiar with either/both of
these products and knows of some damage they have done, please pass the word
along.

Hope this helps.

Rolland Miller, Internet:70642,3604@compuserve.com
Miller Piano Service