Billings flanges, Traveling before hammer hanging

Warren Fisher fish@communique.net
Mon, 27 Jan 1997 19:29:06 -0800

Billings flanges newly installed on a upright hammer rail look like a
picket fence built by a drunk! ANY relationship to straight and level is
purely co-incidental!  To begin with, I'll a mention couple of things
NOT to do. First, don't bend the flange with a pair of parrallel pliers
grasping the ends of the center pin.  It works, but if the pin is too
short, it does one or both of the following: 1. It ovals the pin
bushing, and/or 2. it dents the inside of the flange mortise by pressing
the flange into the wood!  This can cause jerky movement of the butt.
Second, don't install the butt without any adjustment of the flange.
Most of them are just not usable that way!

When I started, I was straightening the flange by swinging it so it was
next to the butt felt, then grasping the upper (pin end) of the flange
with a pair of needle-nosed pliers inserted into the mortise so that the
jaws straddled the pin.  Next, take your parrallel pliers and twist the
lower end of the flange to be perpindicular to the side of the butt.
You may have to take it out of the pliers several times until it looks
straight (It won't be, but you've got to start somewhere!).

Now, take a straight hammer shank (I'm assuming everybody knows how to
find one.  If not, ask me later) press fit it into the the butt without
glue to be your direction pointer, and screw the butt to the rail.  I
use a machinists' compass square sitting on the damper rail to set the
butt vertically in place.  The butt should move to and fro without
binding or moving away from the square.	Do the rest of the section
likewise.

Re-install the hammer rail (from which you have removed the rest felt)
and adjust the hangers so that the rail is level on the four action
frame support ledges (which have no regulation felts).  Press masking
tape along the top edge of the rail just under the shanks then put a
mark on the tape indicating one side of the shank.  Push the rail toward
the strings as far as it will go and mark the new position of the shank
(if any) with a different colored pen (I use black first, then red). For
any that have moved, draw an arrow pointing back toward the original
mark (from the red toward the black).  This is the direction to twist
the flange to correct the traveling.

Remove the shank from the butt.  Pull the butt toward you and down as
far as it will go so that you can insert the needlenoses as you did
before to twist the pin end of the flange in the direction of the arrow
on your tape. Arrow pointing to your right, twist clockwise or the
reverse for left arrow.  You should have marked the shanks' position in
the butt so you'll keep everything the same.  Put the shank back in the
butt and reswing the rail to see if you accomplished anything.  You will
find your shank is lined up with the red mark now and will slide along
it as you push the rail!  This means the shank is traveling straight.
There is a training time here learning how far to twist to eliminate
various amounts of travel.  I sure am glad I have some fat in this job,
because it's certainly going to take a while!

After everything is swinging together square to the strings, reinstall
your guide hammers, line their string marks up with the strings and
start hanging hammers.

If any of you people out there in "Tec-land" have any ideas how I might
do this quicker or better, I surely would like to hear about it!

Warren

--
Warren D. Fisher
fish@communique.net