A new Squeak! -Reply (perception?) (Jan 29, 6:54am)

Newton Hunt nhunt@rci.rutgers.edu
Wed, 29 Jan 1997 10:14:56 -0500

Hi, Jim,
	In answer to your earlier question, flagpoling would be less pulling
down from an angle than from pulling back at a right angle to the pin, given
the same location of pull.
	If the lower coil if minimum 1/8" from the plate the flagpoling will be
least on a supported (plate bushing) than an unsupported pin (S&S, et al).
	It would be better if the string leaves the pin at 90 degrees.  If that
means 7 degrees tilt then it should be 7 degrees.  But if it means 5 degrees or
even 3 degrees then the holes should be drilled at those angles.
	What I was suggesting was a means to determine what the angle should
be.
	I have the care of a piano where someone bored the block at the wrong
angle.  It is a royal pitch to tune.
	Have a nice day.
		Newton
		nhunt@jagat.com