Baldwin Pinblocks

Wed, 02 Jul 1997 22:30:35 -0700

pianoman wrote:

> Dear list,
> About a week ago I queried a group of topics.  One that no one replied back
> on was on the subject of Baldwin pin blocks.  The question was that most
> older Baldwins did not seem to be able to be successfully re-pinned.  When
> could you expect (what year) to be able to re-pin as compared to replacing
> the block and what was it about the construction of the original blocks
> that made this repair faulty.  Also, why did the same thing not apply to
> the cheaper Baldwins (Howards, Sargents, and the like?
>
> James Grebe
> R.P.T. from St. Louis
> pianoman@inlink.com
> "Time is the vehicle in which actions can take place." JG

James,

Tell me more. Specifically which pinblocks are you having a problem
with? What do you mean by "older."

(Keeping in mind that I'm not really a fan of restringing pianos using
the original pinblocks and oversize pins, no matter their age. I've
simply seen too many of all brands, types and configurations fail too
soon after stringing to suit me.)

ddf