The darn plastic elbows

MHoffman11@aol.com MHoffman11@aol.com
Sun, 02 Mar 1997 11:39:09 -0500 (EST)

Hi David:

<< am replacing a set of elbows on a Winter spinet, (Horace,
 condolences accepted in advance).  Usually they just break up
 into dust and I can snap in the Vagius elbows and be done with
 it, but most of these are soft! and I will have to pop out the
 pin to remove.  I think I remember someone talking about some
 way to make them hard with freon? gas...Am I going crazy......
 I must be to still be working on these things...

 ilvey, RPT (David Ilvedson)
 Pacifica, CA

Leave the pins in!

Try using a heat gun.  Heat the plastic while holding onto it with a needle
nose pliers.  Being careful not to overcook the wood, (you don't have to hold
the gun that close)  you'll feel the plastic begin to soften.  Then just pull
it off.  I've done this on those unusual "gooey" sets and have yet to damage
either the wood or the pin.  It's not as fast as working on the brittle type
of plastic, but it's sure faster than removing the pins.

No, your not crazy (or at least you type good for someone who is!);   just a
guy like me trying to pay off his mortgage.  One elbow at a time.

Hope this helps!

Stay Tuned!

Mike Hoffman, RPT
Marquette, MI