Voicing without Power Tools!

jpiesik@arinc.com jpiesik@arinc.com
Thu, 06 Mar 1997 09:02:23 -0500

Sam,

I have used fabric softener, too. Leaves the hammers with that nice, lemony
fresh, spring in the air scent.

However, I don't use fabric softener anymore. Pure alcohol and water is the
most I'll use to soften hammers, and that's only on old, hard hammers that
don't deserve any needle time.

I guess I'm becoming more of a purist when it comes to hammer treatments.
Leaving a residue in hammers (which fabric softeners do) doesn't seem to be a
good thing. That residue will ultimately be transferred to the strings.

Something to think about.

Best Regards,

John Piesik, RPT

a tech here in town showed me a simple, effective tool for voicing hammers. 1
part fabric softener to 7 parts denatured alcohol. And why not? It is, after
all wool. Apply it, wait overnight. Worked good for me. Perhaps not for new
hammers. Sam G.