voice from *Hear*

Barrie Heaton Piano@forte.airtime.co.uk
Mon, 10 Mar 1997 23:03:41 +0000

Hi Mark,

I agree,  there are many ways to voice a piano.  As long as patience and
care is used you will achieved your goal in the end.  However, there is
one thing I must emphasise, I do not agree with needling in the side of
the hammer.  The reasons for this are:  when one places needles in the
hammer, from the very nature of the proceedure it is an unprecise method
of working,  that's why it takes time and patience.  Neeling from the
side, causes the hammer to be uneven across the nose i.e. one side is
brighter than the other.  Of course, one could say you can needle from
the other side to compensate, but you will never put your needles in the
exact mirrored position therefore, introducing hard spots or soft spots
within the striking area.  which tend to be harder to remove.  Also
needling from the side tends to mis shape the hammer nose so that one
side may strike the string before the other.  For this reason I tend not
to or advise anyone to needle from the side.  Having said this,  I do
realise there are probably people on the list who needle from the side
and gain good results.  But of all the needling from the side I have
come in contact with,  mainly with a colleague that I used to work with.
The hammer shape tends to deteriorate faster on pianos he had toned.

Take Care

Barrie,

In article <970309200504_-869778718@emout16.mail.aol.com>,
RPSPIANO@aol.com writes
>I think the systems are similar and there is obviously no right or
>wrong ways to approach this subject. After attending dozens
>and dozens of voicing discussions the answer ends up being:
>do whatever it takes. As B. Ballard pointed out you may use a tool
>in a most unique way to achieve the desired results.
>The more tricks in your bag the more chances for success.

Was this a request for more information on toilet habbits or toneing
habbits :-)

--

Barrie Heaton                                  |  Be Environmentally Friendly
The UK PIano Page                              |