Re: Congrats, André

Susan Kline skline@proaxis.com
Mon, 10 Mar 1997 20:49:45 -0800 (PST)

Avery --

I think your contribution is really good, particularly the point about
exposing hate mail to the gaze of an injured list. I think if we all work
together, we can beat this problem, before we lose more of our best members.=
=20

The problem doesn't seem to be material posted to the list, though
occasionally our manners might be better. It's the private postings that the
list never sees. All we can see is that some of our most valuable
contributors crumble and disappear, apparently spontaneously.

Prompt exposure of any hateful material is, I think, our best defense. If
people really believe in what they write, they shouldn't object to seeing it
out in the open. It is time for everyone to realize that, even though they
write private posts, when they comment on material from the list, what they
say affects all of us on the list.

-- Susan Kline

"Let the light of day shine in."

At 01:22 PM 3/10/97 -0600, you wrote:
>Jon,
>
>   Thanks for this post. Maybe if everyone this type of thing happens
>to would do exactly what your last line says, this type of small-minded,
>venemous posting  would stop. At least they might think twice about how
>their post was worded.
>Discuss, agree, disagree, have your own opinion and post it, but don't
>try to deny someone else his/her opinion by posting hate mail. NO one on
>this list is *that* perfect.
>   Ed Tomlinson made a post yesterday that, to me, is a perfect example of
>how to do this. He disagreed very strongly with a post Les Smith had made
>but it was not done in a "hate mail" type of way. It was well thought out,
>expressed *his* opinion and how/why he disagreed.
>   Just *my* opinion.
>
>Avery
>
>>Andr=E9 Oorebeek was elected president of the Dutch VvPN.
>>
>>But unfortunately, Andr=E9 has unsubscribed due to the rash of
>>hate mail received over the hammer hardening discussion.
>>
>>Must you reply with the zeal of an attacking pitbull?
>>Where is the civility, the professional discourse?
>>
>>Jon Page
>>Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass. (jpage@capecod.net)
>>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>>The anonimity this medium offers is not license for rudeness.
>>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>>
>><<warning: all flames promptly forwarded to the list unread.>>
>
>_____________________________________
>Avery Todd, RPT
>Moores School of Music
>University of Houston