Piano Plate Refinishing

Tue, 11 Mar 1997 11:32:02 -0700

Ed,

Test a small, out of the way (sight) spot to be sure that you're not going
to clean the plate right through the jappaning (if any).

Remember that any blemish you can see will look as big as Baltimore once
the finish is on.  (Ask how I know that.)

I don't recall what kind of action the Behning & Sons has.  Is it a Wessel,
Nickel & Gross?
Anyway, it's a light scale, so don't put too heavy a hammer on it.  Abel
would be good.  Maybe the newer Renner Blue "light" or whatever it's
called.  I know Lloyd Meyer checks this list.

Best.

Horace

>List,
>
>This may be basic for some.  I am about to pull a harp and finish it.  Here
>is what I will do if I keep on my own.  I will clean plate with thinner,
>lightly sand, fill gaps and voids with glazing compound and then prime.
> Rattle can it with Schaff piano Gold.
>Then clear coat it and reinstall.
>
>Any pitfalls?  It is a full perimiter plate on a Behning and Sons.  The bass
>bridge is shot.  Any ideas on where to have it replicated?  Was going to have
>Pianotec do it.
>The treble bridge has a diagonal lamination where it is begining to seperate.
> This does not seem to give it trouble.  I was going to use CA glue to remedy
>that situation.  This Grand was preserved by giving it a lovely Brown/Gold
>antiquing.  Lots of work ahead.  I want to put new hammers on this.  I was
>going to try Abel, any other suggestions? (if you are familiar with this
>piano) It is a small 5 1/2' grand.
>
>Thank you for your help,
>
>Ed Tomlinson
>Tomlinson Tuning and Repair