World's Worst Tuner

Richard Moody remoody@easnetsd.com
Tue, 11 Mar 1997 15:14:11 -0600

Once I tuned for a rental agency.  One of the fellows called up and
asked if I had a  D tuning fork.
"No", I said, "What the heck do you need a D fork for?"
-"This guy wants to know if you can tune to  D."
"I don't understand, I tune to the  A fork, that's what everyone
tunes to these days, although there is a C fork, but I have never
heard of using a D fork"
"Well, he asked me if our tuner could de-tune a piano."
"Oh you mean he wants an out of tune piano"
I then heard laughter in the back ground, and realized that the
speaker phone was on, and I had been set up once again.
 So if someone ever wants you to D-tune a piano ask them they want it
to be flat or to be sharp.
Richard Gotpaidtobebad

ps The agency  actually did  have  a customer that  wanted to rent an
out of tune piano.  For a coffee comercial I heard.    I dropped one
string in a few unisons, they called the client and he listened to it
over the phone and said that was exactly what he wanted, and was glad
it would cost no more than a regular tuning and understood they
should pay for the retune also.  I tweeked the rest of the unisons
and got paid for a full tuning in 10 minutes.