Soft pedal spring

S. Brady sbrady@u.washington.edu
Wed, 12 Mar 1997 11:59:58 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 12 Mar 1997, Marcel Carey wrote:

> A customer of mine just asked me this morning if it was possible to weaken
> the resistance of his soft pedal (Baldwin R).
>
> Is there a way to make the spring weaker? Or should I just replace it?

	I've had this request a few times, and what's worked for me is to
remove the spring, place it with contact points down on the floor, and
stand on it. As I say, this has worked for me. A caveat, though: if you
weaken the return spring too much, you may find yourself with an action
that returns sluggishly or not at all, meaning that you'll want to reset
the glides and clean and lubricate everything to minimize friction.

Many excellent returns,

	Steve

Steve Brady, RPT
University of Washington