A Service Experience

Les Smith lessmith@buffnet.net
Thu, 13 Mar 1997 13:41:51 -0500 (EST)

Hi, John.

The problem you describe is very frequently encountered in Steinway
pianos where the music desk hinges are fastened with tiny, too-short,
not-enough-holding-power screws. Over time, as pianists pile on heavy
books, etc. the little suckers come loose and find their way into the
action, causing a multitude of problems. In older Steinways it's not
uncommon to get a call from an owner that his music desk has self-
destructed. When you get there, you find the screws have all pulled
loose and are either sitting between the tuning pins or in the ac-
tion, itself.

Les Smith
lessmith@buffnet.net