Damper lifter rod return

SGrossner@aol.com SGrossner@aol.com
Mon, 17 Mar 1997 19:14:12 -0500 (EST)

<< List,

 I am finishing up my Kimball Upright project and have found that
 the lifter rod is not returning fully.  Often there is a dummy
 damper lever to return the rod but not on this beast.  Any ideas
 as I look into installing a dummy damper lever, which seems the
 best way at this moment. >>

David: I have had this problem and have installed various springs in the past
to the lifter rod and other places to over come it. I would check the lifter
rod and make sure it floats easily. In other words out of the piano, check
the rod to see if it falls away from the dampers easily. If not, time to
check the hanger bushings and lubricate or ream if necessary. If this not the
case, check all linkages up to the rod and make sure that the pedal rod full
retracts. Spring under pedal, etc. Make sure the felt on the action rail
allows the rod to come back far enough from the damper levers to allow them
to seat fully on the strings. That would be the goal. I guess you knew that.
Yours Truly, Sam G. Chicago.