Salespeople vs. Technicians

David ilvedson ilvey@a.crl.com
Mon, 17 Mar 1997 22:35:03 +0000

> Date:          Mon, 17 Mar 1997 22:56:40 -0500 (EST)
> From:          Les Smith <lessmith@buffnet.net>
> Subject:       Re: Salespeople vs. Technicians
> To:            pianotech@byu.edu

Les,

What a dismal view you have and I think it's a crock of BS.  I
have 25 years in the business here in San Francisco and I can
say very little of what you profess is a part of my business life.  I
believe what the piano public (and general public also)  is
looking for is simple honesty and a real interest in their
piano.  An honest piano technician isn't going to get all the
business but he/she will get enough to prosper.

David ilvedson, RPT

> Ed. I wish I could agree with you, but I can't. The older I get, the
> more I see, the more cynical I become. The world today is much dif-
> ferent from the way it used to be when many of us older techs were
> young and just starting out. Today's world seeks to measure everything
> in term of dollars and cents. That includes things like honor, integrity,
> trust,, thruthfulness and loyalty. Today it seems as if almost everyone
> has his price, and sometimes it isn't very high at all.
>
> The first sentennce of a famous book on the financial markets, entitled.
> "The Money Game", reads: "The world is not the way they tell you it is."
> In other words, it's all illusion and almost everyone--from your wife,
> children. relatives, friends, co-workers and the people with whom you
> do business, to your local, state and Federal politicians, lie to you.
> Constantly. For instance, just look at television. It's a sorry state
> of affairs when the two people on tv with the most credibility are
> Marge and Homer Simpson!
>
> For the modern tech, who tries to run his business in a fair, forth-
> right and honest manner, it can be very discouraging trying to swim
> in a sea filled with conscienceless sharks and barracudas. It seems
> like everytime you bend over to tie your shoelace, there are ten
> people out there tring to "blindside" you, if you know what I mean!
> To survive in today's business world and remain morally and ethically
> intact, is no easy thing. The temptations are great. The "ewerybody
> else does it" mentality prevails. Surviving probably requires follow-
> ing Thornton Mellon's advice in "Back to School, "Always look out for
> number one, but take care that you don't step in number two."! Num-
> ber two, of course, is what's being shoveled out big-time, by vir-
> tually everyone with whom you come in contact.
>
> I still try to look for the good in everyone, too, but at the same
> time experience has taught me to expect the worst. That way I'm
> never disappointed, but occasionally I'm pleasantly surprised.
> Unfortunately, not very often. :(
>
> "To thine ownself, be true"
>
> Les Smith
> lessmith@buffnet.net
>

> On Sun, 16 Mar 1997 ETomlinCF3@aol.com wrote:
>
> > Les and list,
> >
> > I have many stories myself of salespeople doing things that are less than
> > honest.  I remember in my early years of selling I repeated things that were
> > told me as to be fact, just to find out that they were not.   Did that make
> > me bad?  Does that make all salespeople bad...no.   My strong point isn't
> > that we all don't have stories of dishonest salespeople.  It is that we as
> > techs should be careful not to brand the proffession as "shady" when, for the
> > overwhelming majority of sales staff around these United States do care and
> > want to be honest.  I would rather look to the good in people.
> >
> > Ed Tomlinson
> > Tomlinson Tuning and Repair

ilvey, RPT
Pacifica, CA