BAD, BAD, BAD ADVICE!

Les Smith lessmith@buffnet.net
Fri, 21 Mar 1997 04:54:03 -0500 (EST)

Regarding my recent post about the Steinway M with the mis-positioned
capstans, I gave some bad advice near the end, when discussing replac-
ing the teflon-bushed action parts with new. I said to come with an
estimate that allowed for a fair profit, add a couple of hundred dollars
to it, to allow for re-positioning the capstans and then tell the owner
that when you were replacing the action you would throw in the capstan
work for free. That's what I SAID, but not what I MEANT. DUMB!, DUMB!
DUMB! What I MEANT to say was the following; Come up with an estimate for
replacing the teflon-bushed action parts with new felt-bushed replace-
ments and regulating them, then add a couple of hundred dollars to that
figure for repositioning the capstans. Don't tell the owner you're doing
any work for free, when you're not! Simply tell him that your estimate
includes replacing all the action parts with new, repositioning the
capstans and then regulating everything to Steinway specs. Sorry about
tthe mis-statement. I gotta stop these 4:30 AM posts! The rest of the
advice stands. Repositioning those capstans really isn't that dif-
ficult a job.  DON'T get involved in a lawsuit!

Les Smith
lessmith@buffnet.net