stack placement: Steinway M problem

John W. McKone mckonejw@skypoint.com
Tue, 25 Mar 1997 14:38:26 -0500

Thanks David.

This is exactly the approach I initially wanted to take.  The problem is
that the client wants Steinway to pay for the repair, even though the piano
is twenty years old, and he is the second owner.  The secondary issue (and
the more interesting one to me) is how the problem occured in the first
place, given the way the factory sets up the action.

So far the only thing that makes sense to me is William Sadler's oops
factor causing the stack to move before capstans were marked - but because
of the distances involved, I find it hard to believe that the action works
at all with the stack that far off.   Again, I must do a lot more analysis,
and I will give a complete report to the list when I see the piano again.

I've been to your classes before, and find them fascinating and useful.
I'm glad to hear you will be in the Twin Cities, and look forward to seeing
you then.

David Stanwood writes:

>Hi John,
>
>Seeing how I make a living reconfiguring actions, your problem is really
>quite simple.
>
>1. Position the stack so that the strike point is hitting the string at the
>right point.
>2. Position the capstan line and heels(cut off) so that the action ratio is
>compatable     with the hammer weight.
>3. Re-balance the keys with keylead.
>
>I believe that in the fall, Bob Marinelli and I will be teaching a one day
>seminar in Minneapolis on the subject of setting weight, leverage, and
>friction in piano actions.
>
>Hope you can make it.
>
>David C. Stanwood

John McKone, RPT