Discounts (was-reply)

RPT sethile@msumusik.mursuky.edu
Wed, 26 Mar 1997 17:05:54 +0000

Avery asks:

>   This brings up something I've wondered about lately. Do any of you
>CAUT's give discounts to students or faculty? Just wondering.

Yes, I do. I discount 20% to both music faculty and students.  I receive
a lot of referral work from our faculty, so it seems appropriate to offer
them a discount in appreciation.  My discounts to students is more like
charity than anything else.  It's tough for students to afford piano
maintenance, I try to help them out as much as I can. Part of my
motivation to discount some work stems from my own work preferences.  I
would much rather work for students and faculty at a discount, than
perform what amounts to "furniture maintenance" at full pop. Of course
there are a few musicians with money, but thats another story.

I also think my discounts promote a friendly "we are all in this boat
together" attitude within the department.

I have a question too. Why do piano faculty need their studio pianos
tuned every month, but their home pianos only need tuning once or twice a
year? It surely couldn't be because they have to pay for home tunings
could it? :)) I don't really mind, the only time I tune my own piano is
to try out some new  temperament idea...

Scott

Scott E. Thile, RPT
Piano - Instrument Technician
Department of Music