Service Vehicle

Susan Kline skline@proaxis.com
Fri, 28 Mar 1997 07:25:11 -0800 (PST)

List --

Your vehicles are very spacious and elegant, and can give you very good
service. However, if low cost is an overriding factor, I can recommend a
Tercel 4-door hatchback (mine is an '87). I'm amazed at what will fit into
it. I can put in an action with one seat folded down, and block it with
various stuff on the sides so it won't slither around. I usually use a big
board over the folded seat, but if I'm taking an action home unexpectedly,
the little back shelf laid lengthwise will work fine. The tools I use every
day, plus my stringing gear (and a lot more) fit in the trunk area, easily
accessible without crawling around, and out of sight. By having a modest
sized vehicle with 5 doors, everything can be reached without strain.

Extra parts (in ziploc bags in boxes), vacuum, tool box, fit behind or on
the back seat. Pedal dowels, a dampp-chaser, a straightedge, and a prop for
those dratted console lids hinged on the end slide in next to the rear door.
At home I use a handtruck to get actions in and out, that is laid against
the rear threshold (with the board on top). When putting an action in, I can
open the rear passenger door and hatch, and reach from both sides at once.

This venerable vehicle, paid for for many years, has 144,000 miles, and is
about due for a new engine and carburetor. I want to drive it till it has
300,000! It gets 33 miles per gallon, turns on a dime, etc.=20

I've never had to carry so much in it that I needed two trips. I've never
removed parts and tools to make room for actions, etc. I once carried a
lyre, lyre props, grand action, a bench, and a suitcase in it at the same
time, with no damage to anything. It's like stacking a fridge. You just have
to pack it right.

Assorted clutter that is in my car: bottle jack, many parts (Weaver rocker
arms, for instance), humidistats, pinblock support jacks and boards, tuning
pin punch, maps for everywhere, gimlets, hand drills (power and manual),
hammer replacement kit, cleaning supplies, ear protection, lamp, extension
cords, dust mask, safety glasses. Stringing gear, including an attach=E9=
 case
with a double set of universal bass strings (for clunkers only), soft-faced
hammer, rubber mallet, caster cups, a whole case for ivory work ... well,
you get the idea. Enough bandwidth.

The only drawback I mind at all is that it's totally gutless on hills. I
arrange to let everyone pass me.

><< As a mini-van costs about $10000 more than a small pickup, is it
>worth the added expense?
>
>Thanks for the discussion. I currently drive a Toyota Staion Wagon which
>holds actions with both seats folded down. This also holds all my
>supplies, but not at the same time. <snip>
>Dan Hallett, RPT
>dhalle@toolcity.net

Susan Kline
skline@proaxis.com
P.O. Box 1651,
Philomath, OR 97370
(541) 929-3971

"Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious."