Glue collars

Joel Rappaport joelr@flash.net
Thu, 01 May 1997 02:09:05 -0500

Fred and others,
The first thing I would think of is to remove the stack from the
keyframe and take it away from the piano for the very reason Fred
outlines.
Are you in the shop or the home?  If you could, put the stack on a table
or workbench with the hammers away from you, then tip the stack towards
you so the hammers fall onto the table/bench upside down in front of
you.  You can then use a chisel to chip away the glue with the hammers
supported, the crowns resting on the table/bench.  If you want, cover
the rest of the stack with your sheet.
With the hammers and shanks back in their regular position and the stack
positioned with the hammers toward you, cover the wippens with your
sheet and use a knife to continue to remove the rest of the glue.

You wouldn't have to remove the individual shanks from the stack.  This,
of course, does not address a thorough cleaning of the shank end in
anticipation of reglueing the hammers.  But maybe they will be clean
enough if there was not a good glue bond there to begin with.

Don't forget to leave sample hammers (or remove and reglue sample
hammers first) in order to maintain the hammer line!

Joel Rappaport
Round Rock, Texas