Re-Notch or No

Rob & Karen Loomis rkloomis@equinox.shaysnet.com
Fri, 02 May 1997 10:20:15 -0400

Two thoughts on the notching fo your 1924 S&S D -

1. A most noble S&S "Centennial Grand" ca. 1877 has modern style
notching with even string lengths. It is un-restored and so with loose
bridge pins etc., it's hard to fully evaluate the tone. But compared to
the rest of the compass, octaves 5/6 aren't glorious.

2. I have a 1892 [mate to one in Smithsonian] D and will use the
original bridge (still in very good condition) on a new board ( original
repeatedly clumsily repaired). Even if I were to put in a new bridge,
I'd likely put it back the way it was. IMHO, this is one feature that
gives different but not necessarily inferior results and we have too
many pianos all trying to sound the same. But then I'm a crazy guy who
actually likes the sound of some historic pianos.

Best Wishes

Rob Loomis