Using CA glue for ivory replacment was Re: Ivory replacement

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Sat, 03 May 1997 07:53:00 -0400 (EDT)

In a message dated 97-05-01 23:43:57 EDT, Tom Cole writes:

>A method that I've used is to first paint the surface of the keystick under
>the ivory with
>white correction fluid. It dries quickly while you're getting the glue ready
>(I use medium
>viscosity CA glue on the key and accelerator on the keytop). If there are
>gouges in the
>wood, you might fill any depressions with CA before painting on the white.

I have also used CA glue when replacing ivories, and even plastic keytops,
but I had problems later on. On some pianos, the keytops come off.  I don't
if know if maybe the customer is testing the keytop to see if it is on tight,
or if the glue become too hard to keep the ivory on.

My theory is that the CA glue becomes too hard, and that when the key and the
ivory, (or the plastic) expands or contracts with humidty or temperature, the
glue is not expanding or contractign at the same rate, and thus it breaks the
glue joint.

Any thoughts on this, or am I using the glue wrong?

Wim Blees  RPT
St. Louis