Concert Grand Evaluation

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Sun, 04 May 1997 12:06:11 -0400 (EDT)

Greetings;

Rob asks;
 >This Tuesday,I will look at several used (~5-8 years) concert grands
>that a college are concidering. These include 3 Boesendorfer Imp. and
>Hamburg Steinways.
 >What should I especially look out for in evaluating their over-all
>health and potential?

On the Imperials, check to see that there are no action rails split, check
the bearing and crown in FOUR places at least,  and you will want to listen
for false beats quite closely.

On the Steinway,  I would pay particular attention to the action set-up.  (
are the capstans way up?, are the let-off buttons all at the extreme end of
range?,  Does the hammer blow and key-dip seem to be happy in a normal
setting?

Good luck,
Ed Foote