Action Removal Brambach Grand??

Richard Moody remoody@easnetsd.com
Wed, 07 May 1997 22:38:24 -0500

I came across a grand that needed to have the leg removed to get to
the cheek block screw.  Of course the thoughtful technician would at
least paste a business card there with a notice on it.  Other wise
drill a hole so that when the leg is replaced the screw is visible.
If the legs have been switched, which I doubt if they are double,
(the mouldings should be off to the point of distraction), some body
sooner or later will have to switch them back. Also if they have been
switched and there is a hole for the screw it would be in the wrong
position, usually towards the back of the piano.  Also if they have
been switched, they are probably held in by large screws and big fat
placement dowels as the lock plate legs usually cannot be switched
because of the outhouse latch butt block (for lack of the proper
term) would be out of position.
	If the legs are held by screws, beware that the screws might be
loose, so check them  in all legs.  There are horror stories of
lifting a piano to place a rug or caster cup and the leg falling off.
 That brings up the story my teacher told of being called to tune a
piano in a home that was to have a reception for Nuriev.  A leg was
wobbly so Robert advised that the it be secured.  "Oh no, we just
want the piano tuned".   "And if the piano falls on Mr. Nuriev's
leg??"  They decided to have the leg fixed.
BTW that party made the papers, and it wasn't because the piano fell
down, but that's another story.
Richard Moody