Tools for Tuning

EugeniaCar@aol.com EugeniaCar@aol.com
Tue, 13 May 1997 07:32:47 -0400 (EDT)

Dear Rob,

I was one of those fortunate people who was able to attend a piano technology
school to learn my basic skills. (Thank goodness for PTG's continuing
education that still enables me to discover better ways to become a better
technician!) I learned to tune aurally. It was several years later that I
learned to use a SAT. I now consider it an indepensible tool.

When this thread was discussed several months ago, I put on a post saying
that the use of a SAT, or any other ETD, should be deferred until after one
learned to tune aurally. I received several private posts from long time
technicians who quickly informed me that an ETD could be one of the very best
teaching tools available to a beginner. They were right!

The SAT has a quartz crystal that keeps A440 dead on. It does not vary with
temperature, humidity, or any other factor (unless the battery dies). ( I
have not used the Cyber Tuner, but I assume it is that stable also.) My
experiences with a tuning fork demonstrated over and over again that the fork
varied according to those factors. So, if our expectation is accuracy, then
it seems to me that the SAT clearly would be the most dependable.

Even though I always use the SAT as one of my tuning tools, it always is my
ear that defines whether or not a note is tuned properly. I don't know how
anyone can tune and not use checks. I think you and I are saying the same
thing --  the end result must be a well tuned piano, whatever method or tool
is used.

Gina Carter

<< At the risk of offending *many* people on the list NEVER (shouting
 emphasis noted) sell your aural skills short. That includes accepting
 the judgement of an electronic tuning aid over your subjective
 judgement. You simply cannot know whether your aural skills are based
 on what a machine tells you is right.
 	Too many tuners that I know have made the mistake of learning from
 a machine, refining their aural skills second, and then returning to
 the machine. This is a waste of time and effort, as you are
 essentially re-learning what your ear already knows. Get as firm a
 grip with your aural skills first (do the temperament and octaves
 without the machine) and check your work with a machine or mentor.
 Machines are useful tools when properly applied. Please learn why you
 are using them!!!!

 Remember, pianos are built for aural analysis.

 Rob Kiddell
 R.P.T., P.T.G.
 C.A.P.T. Student
 Edmonton, Canada