Kimball and String Breakage

RPT sethile@msumusik.mursuky.edu
Fri, 16 May 1997 14:00:12 +0100

Hi All,

There was a time several years ago when one of the wire manufacturers
unknowingly sold some faulty wire. I think it was size #16.  I ran into
this a lot on Yamaha P-22s (American made), Kimballs, and also some
Baldwins. This wire turned up a little past the treble break in console
pianos from several manufacturers made in the late 70's early 80's.

I deleted the original message on this thread, but I think the writer
mentioned that the broken part of the string showed an unusual elongation
to it.  The wire from the pianos with the defective wire showed a very
distinctive tear to the broken ends.  It looked much different than a
wire that breaks from tension beyond its breaking point (as in a scale
design or friction problem), or from hard playing.

I replaced a lot of wire on these pianos in the mid 80's, and I still run
into it every now and again. If it happens to be # 16 or so wire just
past the treble break, I would get ready for more breakage...  Maybe
think about replacing all of that wire size. I know of several situations
where this was covered under warranty, but I would think most of these
pianos are out of warranty by now.

Don't blame the maker for a problem they may not have had any control
over, and were still willing to correct when notified.
Just a thought....  This could be a totally different situation.

Scott

Scott E. Thile, RPT
Piano - Instrument Technician
Department of Music