ETD vs Aural

Ron Nossaman nossaman@southwind.net
Fri, 16 May 1997 19:55:02 -0500 (CDT)

Hi Jim,

Sorry to butt in here, but I had a sort-of peripheral thought to add. More then a few of the older aural tuning techs bought ETDs because they could no longer hear the high end well enough to tune it without help, and I assure you, when I get there the ch
eck will be in the mail. If the folks testing with ETDs fall into this category, the demonstration of aural skills in the midrange isn't really sufficient insurance that the person can hear, is it. Moot point, I know. An aid is an aid is an aid. Otherwise
, it seems like a rational compromise.

Ron Nossaman

At 10:39 AM 5/16/97 -0700, you wrote:
>Hi Avery:
>
>Up to now a person who primarily uses and ETD is required to tune aurally
>only in the mid-range. From the beginning of the present tuning testing
>program, it was felt that those using ETDs should be able to demonstrate
>some ability in tuning aurally just in case something went wrong with their
>equipment. At least they would be able to recognize if the piano did not
>sound right. The purpose was not to force all tuners to tune aurally. We
>felt that being able to demonstrate aural skills in the midrange was
>sufficient insurance that the person could hear.
>
>The proposed change just makes the test uniform for everyone in that the
>aural portion of the test comes first.  In the past, the ETD user was
>required to tune the whole range first and then repeat the midrange area
>aurally. This required more time to be scheduled for ETD users. Now it
>can all be done in the same amount of time, thus simplifying scheduling,
>and unifying the test.
>
>Jim Coleman, Sr, advisor to ETSC

 Ron Nossaman