Unisons

Michel Lachance chance@InterLinx.qc.ca
Sat, 17 May 1997 19:51:00 +0000

Tom Myler wrote:

> I seem to remember reading somewhere (how's THAT for a disclaimer)  that
> listeners in double-blind tests do in  fact prefer the sound of a tuning
> with VERY SLIGHTLY "mis-tuned" unisons.   The important point to keep in
> mind was that   the amount of mis-tuning was tiny, so small that only a
> very critical ear would notice, and only upon careful listening.

That makes sense to me.  As technicians we are trained to achieve the
most perfect unissons possible but some pianists do find the result as
making a lifeless piano in some way.  I also heard about a tuning
being too "sanitary".

I think it is the same principle with the stringed instruments in a
symphony orchestra where the "thickness" of the intonation due to
unequal vibratos adds some warmth to the sound.

Knowing that, I don't know how one could make a tuning less than
perfect in order to accomodate one's preference.  Personnally, I
always strive to make my unissons crystal clear and if one is not
happy with it, I just tell him that my tuning is exactly like wine: It
gets better with time!

Michel Lachance, RPT