Tuning Hammers

Eric Leatha tunrboy@teleport.com
Mon, 19 May 1997 17:04:30 -0700

Daryl,

I have just started using the T-1 during the last two months.  I also own
an extremely fine tuning hammer made by Mr. Keith Bowman, RPT.  I have 9
tuning hammers in my collection, one of which is the Schaff which you
mentioned.  I have never had such a responsive hammer as the T-1.  I have
found I can get much more minute hammer movements with it and literally
"hear/feel" the "tics" of the pin moving.  Because the head is so wide and
there is no extension, there is almost no flex between tip and handle.  It
is especially good for tuning Yamaha grands.  In all, an excellent
investment.
It did take some time for me to part with ol' Schaff 21 and 21C, though.

The Bowman hammer is available from Renner and has similar characteristics
(excepting its extraordinary beauty).  I use it for non-Yamaha and upright
pianos.
When you stop to think about it, we use tuning hammers for the majority of
our work, why not have one that fosters pride and reliability?

My thanks to Greg Frank of Yamaha for turning me on to the Yamaha T-1.

>Dear List,
>
>I've been using a Schaff #21 lever with 1 piece heads for years.  After
>seeing the excellent quality of the Yamaha tools, I've been thinking about
>ordering their T-1 lever.  Anyone using it and do you think it's a better
>tool than the Schaff for any reason.
>
>Thanks,
>Daryl Matthies
>Mathis Piano Service, WI
>pianotec@hnet.net

Eric Leatha, RPT
Portland, OR
tunrboy@teleport.com
 "Work is love made visible.  And if you cannot work with love but only
with distaste, it is better that you should leave your work and sit at the
gate of the temple and take alms of those who work with joy."
-Kahlil Gibran