Midi pianos

Danny Moore danmoore@ih2000.net
Thu, 22 May 1997 01:49:54 -0500

David,
There have been several companies involved in MIDI retro-fits since the
early '80s.  The most prominent is Piano-Disc.  If your customer is only
interested in transmitting MIDI data, that is using his Yamaha as a
master controller, they will sell you just the "fingers" that fit under
the keybed and transmit the data.  Their kit transmits, note-on,
note-off, velocity and after-touch.  No modulation or pitch bend to my
knowledge.  It is a simple installation.

If your customer wants to also receive MIDI data and play back that data
on the Yamaha, the servo system would also have to be installed.  This
is not a simple installation as it requires routing the keybed and
installing 88 servos, not to mention installation of the electronics.  I
would suggest that a complete installation be referred to a factory
trained Piano-Disc technician.

On the other hand, since you live in California anyway, why not take a
week off and go to the factory school?  Might be fun!

Good luck,
Danny Moore
Houston Chapter