Plate Painting Question

samuel marquez marquezpianos@buyrite.com
Sun, 25 May 1997 07:38:21 -0400

We first scrub theplate unmercilfully or at the least, if the plate is
immaculate, then go straight to a degreaser, then if necessary, sand pits,
etc.  A primer is a good insurance policy.  the key at this point is to be
consistent with what ever you use.  We use lacguer, therefore a lacquer
primer/sealer, lacquer color, lacquer clear coat..  We normally go with
Mohawk pale gold, this is the same shade Steinway uses.  Primer, sand
lightly w/320-400, apply the gold, we usually apply 2 coats clear as final.
 Rub out should be unnecessary, but if so, then do.   Let it cure for at
least a day, even though it's dry, it needs to harden.

Good luck