Plate Painting Question

Guy, Karen, and Tor Nichols nicho@lascruces.com
Mon, 26 May 1997 10:41:39 -0600

At 03:03 AM 5/25/97 -0400, you wrote:
>It has been a couple of years since I last cleaned, primed, painted a plate
>with metallic paint, and then overcoated with clear.
> May I have some recommendations for the best current
>process, type of paint (urethane, or lacquer with bronzing powder overcoated
>with lacquer, etc),  and any brand names or specific color choices that have
>worked out well for the rebuilders out there?

Bill,
	Seems like most of the posted answers agree to bronze powder, which when I
have to use, I get from Baldwin. (I've always liked the darker color they
use on 243's). But..... I discovered a neat technique years ago that has
worked very well, without the need for clearcoat. From an autobody paint
supplier, I get acrylic enamel in the color I want(lots of choices), and a
high quality reducer. The stuff's not cheap, but that's a relative thing in
both labor and quantity of material needed.
	Do the clean and fill and sand thing, and a final wash with methanol. Wipe
off the film as much as you can, and shoot a LIGHT coat of reducer only.
Let dry(minutes), and shoot your enamel. We have to reduce about fifty
percent out here 'cause there's no H2O in the air. The stuff flows really
well, and does a nice job of filling little pits and stuff. Doesn't run too
bad if you've got good gun technique, but the metalic gold and bronze
colors will give you a little variation if your build-up isn't even. No
primer is needed. You can actually use the color variation to do some neat
highlights, etc.
	Give the first coat(s) overnight, then lightly sand any goofs or whatever.
Watch your edges. Clean with a good cloth barely damp with reducer.
	Shoot another coat, light and even, then shoot STRAIGHT REDUCER. NO clear
coat needed. That final shot of reducer is the last 6 steps of any other
technique or finish I've ever used. Give it 48 hours before artwork.
	We found the acrylic enamel to be a lot more "idiot-proof" when we had a
busier shop with lots of different skill levels amongst the help. Seems
like the results on plates ALWAYS looked classy.
	Something we learned over time was to occasionally use lights to even out
the temperature of the plate. NEVER shoot in the sun, and don't sweep your
arm in an arch. Keep perpendicular for eveness.
	Little side bennie of shooting just reducer for last coat is it cleans the
gun, too.
	Have fun,
Guy
Guy Nichols, RPT