Pedal dowel bushings-glue-less: Was CA glue quirk

Susan Kline skline@proaxis.com
Thu, 29 May 1997 07:54:13 -0700 (PDT)

Hi, Avery

>Another thought:
>
>   Slip a piece of plastic tubing of the appropriate length & size over
>the pedal dowel pin.
>
>Avery

Actually, that's why I went to cloth. I slipped the plastic tubing over the
pedal dowel pin, and the hole (for the middle pedal -- bass damper lift) was
just the right size that it walked its way up the pin, jamming the dampers
off the strings in the bass. The lady rehearsing for the wedding had a cow,
and I had to make a flying visit (some distance away, too) to put on the
cloth ears just before the wedding.

Given also that the rubber and plastic and tape will turn to ossified crud
over (a long) time anyway, I said "never again" and went to bushing cloth.

Probably overkill, but with the glue trick it isn't as hard as it was.

Regards,

Susan

>>Susan Kline wrote:
>>>

>>> When trying to quiet jingling pedal dowels in uprights, I like to put 2
>>> bushing cloth "ears" through the hole for the pedal dowel pin
>>
>>Susan,
>>
>>Another way you can do it is to bush the dowel.  Slip a medium center
>>rail bushing over the pins and wrap about 2" of a good electricians tape
>>around the pin to eliminate the "tinkle" and keep the bushing from
>>falling off.  I have 2 of these fixes going on 20 years with no
>>problems.
>>
>>NO action removal-no messy glue-no gouged knuckles!
>>
>>A thought,
>>
>>Warren
>
>_____________________________________
>Avery Todd
>Moores School of Music
>University of Houston
>Houston, TX 77204-4893
>atodd@uh.edu
>
>Help stop Internet spam! Join CAUCE: <http://www.cauce.org/
>(The Coalition Against Unsolicited Commercial Email)

Susan Kline
P.O. Box 1651
Philomath, OR 97370
skline@proaxis.com

"Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake
when you make it again."
				 -- F. P. Jones