Slow Piano Sales

Michael Wathen Michael.Wathen@UC.Edu
Fri, 30 May 1997 08:57:06 -0400 (EDT)

I appreciated the post from Sy Zabrocki.  Here are a few things to add.

Last time I heard the figures it was 700,000 new pianos sold world wide
about 100,000 were in the US.  China is the largest consumer of new pianos.

We have quite a few students here from mainland.  I always assumed that they
were here to better themselves economically and possibly land a teaching job
in the US.  Then I got educated. One doctoral student, named Lin Lin (hear
sound clip on my home page), corrected my thinking.  She said that it is
extremely difficult for foreign nationals to get teaching jobs here in the
US.  Furthermore, it doesn't interest her (She is a top notch performer, one
of our best pianist).  China has gone mad with their rising tide of
affluence.  Every household that can adquire the monetary means is
purchasing a piano.  There is such a demand for piano teachers that she will
be able to write her own ticket when she returns.  Everybody who is anybody
has their children taking lessons.

Next, the piano retail industry has taken many blows and wrong turns in the
US.  First, we had such a large part of retail inventory on floor plan
during the '80s.  Jumps in interest rates forced retailers out of business.
Then we have the advent of the microchip.  Salesman were forced to find
digital keyboards with lots of buttons and accessories.  The salesman fell
head over heals about this stuff and they have never recovered.  In order to
sell a product you must believe in it. The faith is gone.  Retail managers
as well as Manufacturers have lost the faith and no longer push the product.

I know this from first hand experience.  For example, Baldwin sacked their
research and development in the mid '80s mostly for economic reasons. They
have been trying to get to market a 48" vertical to compete with the Yamaha
U-1 and the Kawai NS-20 now for 6 years or so.

This sort of thing should only take a year or so.  But the fact that their
R&D is a bare bones operation has dragged out the process.  Officials don't
think that there is a future in pianos.	Instead, they are looking to secure
contracts building things such as circuit boards for thermostats and
promoting digital pianos made in Italy.

Here's another example.  Last year Baldwin hosted a Dealer's convention at a
local hotel. They hired Richard Fields (Baldwin Artist) to play the banquet.
He recounted to me the incredulousness of the whole event.  When he arrived
he found not a concert grand, but a Baldwin L.  It was set on the stage with
the lid opened towards the wall with a mike hovering over the plate.  On all
sides of him were set up digital pianos.  He played his part then left with
a feeling of disgust.  I am sure that what followed was a glittzy digital
demonstration to get the dealers excited about this product.  After all,
there is nothing to be said about pianos that hasn't already been said.

One more thing, do we as fathers and mothers sell the piano to our kids, or
is it as Sy Zabrocki claims?  My children have no choice as far as I am
concerned.  They will study music until they are 18.  My wife and I are
agreed and we like the suzuki method.  We personally practice with them and
go to their lessons with them.  We experience their ups and downs, triumphs
and failures all through music.  Believe me it is at present the most
rewarding engagement I have with my children.

Michael J. Wathen			Phone:	513-556-9565
Piano Technician			Fax:	513-556-3399
College-Consevatory of Music		Email:  Michael.Wathen@UC.Edu
University of Cincinnati