"continual" bridges

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Sat, 31 May 1997 10:08:24 -0400 (EDT)

Greetings;
Gina writes;

>>At the point where the lower tenor bridge curves under and forms the bass
bridge, there is no contact with the curved, unstrung, bridge section and the
soundboard. So, in effect, there is one structure but two, distinctly
seperate bridges. Or, to put it another way two distinctly seperate areas of
transmission on this one piece structure.
 >> This being the case, are there not in fact "two" bridges in actuality?

      The sound transmission path is the important aspect of the continual
bridge.  Remember, sound travels a lot better with the grain.  Now,  if you
will take a soundboard steel, and pass it under the "unstrung" section, I
think you will find that there are acoustic dowels joining the soundboard and
bridge.  These are the dowels that have the large wooden nuts  that are
visible on the underside of the soundboard on the Steinways.  I am not so
sure about the Yamaha.
    There is only one bridge on these models,  and a gap between the bridge
and soundboard does not alter the acoustical linkage formed between the
treble and bass sections.

Regards,
Ed Foote
Precision Piano Works