Plate Break after restringing-Preliminary report

Warren Fisher fish@communique.net
Sat, 01 Nov 1997 21:00:41 -0800

My customer came in today, looked at the crack, which is all the way
through the hitch pin area between two struts, and said "Wow! That's big
isn't it?  I thought it was just a little crack in the wood or
something!"

I explained all the implications of the break, including much of what
you gugs have told me.  I gave her a sheet with all the plate repair
suggestions and price guesses you sent; told her I would be contacting
welders this week for prices and suggestions, and would get back to her.
Next, I explained the cost implications of removing the plate versus
repairing it in place (restringing again, dis-assembling the case and
removing the keybed.  The possibility of having to step up to a larger
size tuning pin again).  Then I asked her what she thought we ought to
do.  Her answer was completely off the wall!

She asked if the crack really HAD TO BE FIXED!  She said she chose the
piano out of a house full of furniture when a relative died, did not
play a note herself and just wanted something on which to learn a few
tunes!

I told her that I thought the strings in the break area would not stay
in tune, and that some other part of the plate could eventually break if
it was not repaired.

She asked if I could tune it well enough to play tunes without repairing
it.  I said I hadn't the foggiest idea!  She said she wanted me to try
because she couldn't afford additional expense right now and that we
could always take it back to the shop later for repair if it doesn't
work.  I told her I would pull up the strings, tune it and check it
after a week to see if it was holding and let her know. We could make a
decision then.  By that time we should have the estimates and
information from the welders.

Folks, this nice lady has not given me any indications that she thinks I
am liable in any way for this tragedy and wants me to it make as well as
possible.  I don't want to get too defensive legally or it may create
the exact situation I want to avoid.

Any thoughts?

Warren
--