Plate break after restringing

Glenn rockymtn@sprynet.com
Sat, 1 Nov 1997 22:27:42 -0700

>IN ALL SERIOUSNESS - It is beginning to sound, to me, like some of you
>"routinely" get plates that just happen to crack when rebuilding the piano.
>And, apparently, you see that as the piano's problem, not something you
might
>have caused. Am I right?

Absolutely right.

>I contend that plates do not break that easily!  I have busted up several
>plates, on the ground, out of the piano, with a 12 pound sledge hammer. You
>can work up a sweat doing it. They are not made of glass. You can whack
>several times in one spot before it cracks.

Then if you contend they are hard to break, why do you think the tech,
during a routine restringing, "did something" to cause it to break?  Like
you say above and below, they are hard to break.  Now you are contridicing
yourself.

>The next time one cracks in your shop, try busting it up with a hammer as
an
>experiment in metallurgy, before taking it to the dump. ( CAUTION!  - Don't
>break it up before calling the customer! )
>

>Bill Simon
>Phoenix

It is simple.  The years of pressure put the test to the metal.  The break
will occur where there are any imperfections in the manufacture process.

I contend that the only way a plate can break (during routine rebuilding) is
because IT WAS DEFECTIVE.  My proof is in your own words above.

Glenn.