Home Owners Insurance Cancellation+

pianoman pianoman@inlink.com
Sun, 2 Nov 1997 10:02:58 -0600

Dear Warren ,
In the early 1980s we had a fire in our home and we were forced to live in
a motel for several months while the insurance company had our home fixed.
I used to come to the house every day to check on work being done.  Many
days no one showed to work at all and other days workers would show up for
a short while and then leave.  I had called my agent numerous times about
this saying that this was all extending the time the insurance company
would be paying for our motel bill..  There was myself, wife and 3 smaller
kids.  On and on I would complain about the slow pace of work being done on
our house.  Finally it was done and we moved back in.  When our renewal
date came up we got a letter from the insurance company, Auto Club of Mo.
,stating that they  refused to  renew our policy.  All this and I tried to
help the insurance company save money by letting them know time was being
wasted working on our house by their contractors.  The catch was in MO.
when you apply for insurance the first question asked is "Have you ever
been refused insurance'?  Of course the answer is now , yes.  That placed
us in a special pool that insurance companies will insure for extra high
prices and guess what was the only coverage you could get, not homeowners.
All you could get was fire insurance.  We had to stay in that pool for 2
years before we could get homeowners insurance from another company.

  My advice, don't tell the insurance company anything they don't ask
specifically.  Just like IRS or the governments.
James Grebe
R.P.T. from St. Louis
pianoman@inlink.com
"Only my best is good enough"