Duo Piano

Tom Cole tcole@cruzio.com
Mon, 03 Nov 1997 19:05:41 -0700

Robert W.Hohf wrote:

> I would be interested to know other's procedures for tuning two pianos
> together.
>
> .-
This is a job where the machine can really shine. You said that you tune
aurally. I did the same for 25 years and last year started using the
CyberTuner with the hope that I could tune faster, more accurately and
with less effort. I can safely say that all this has happened, plus
there have been other benefits, such as being able to measure the
inharmonicity of two instruments paired for a concert which can be
useful in deciding how to proceed.

Two weeks ago I tuned an S & S model L with a (rebuilt, family heirloom)
6'3" Kranich and Bach and never checked one piano with the other (there
wasn't time). The most important thing was to get them to sound well
individually. I attended the concert and my aural-tuner ears were
favorably impressed, even in the high and low extremities.

Okay, maybe I got lucky and they were of similar length and
inharmonicity. If I were aware of a significant difference in
inharmonicity, however, then I would put in with Mr. Jim re making some
compromises in the secundo piano and possibly even making compromises in
the octave stretch of both if the differences were extreme. I just
wanted to mention about using the machine, not to downgrade anyone's
ears but sometimes a little applied science can fill in some gaps. I
don't think that I can remember the mistakes I made in the first piano
and put them into the second.

--
Thomas A. Cole RPT
Santa Cruz, CA