Uprights

Tue, 04 Nov 1997 20:16:37 -0800

Roger Jolly wrote:

> Hi All,
>         Rebuilding worth it or not?  Well with the changes in society
> towards collectables, I think those who advocate not rebuilding vertical
> pianos are missing out on a growing segment of the piano economy.
>   It is true that pin block and board replacement is hardly worth it at
> this point in time, but for $4,000. Canadian, we can replace butts, shanks,
> hammers,dampers, strings, oversize pins, and all key bed and bushing felt.
>   On the better quality pianos of yester year that have good boards and
> bridges,it is well worth the effort. One full week of work, a $1,000 for
> parts,
> not bad income. The result of the refurbishing is invariably superior to
> the touch and tone quality of say a Yamaha model U1 that retails in Canada
> for $9,500
>   We process at least one unit per month. Many of the customers will also
> spend an extra $2.500 to have the case refinished.
>   Good judgment is called for on what to rebuild, but believe me there is a
> big market for our members out there. With practice the complete job can be
> done in a week.
>   Regards to all.
> Roger Jolly
> University of Saskatchewan
> Dept. of Music.

  ----------

We pretty much have two criteria for determining whether or not a piano is worth rebuilding:
    1)  Does the customer want it done?
    2)  Can the customer afford the tariff?

Why not rebuild uprights? Properly rebuilt, they'll stand up to most any new vertical and not be
ashamed. In fact, done right they'll stand right proud against most small grands and flat out
embarrass most of them.

As long as the customer is well aware that this cannot be considered a sound financial investment in
terms of resale, what's wrong with it?

We don't actively promote this type of work now because it's really not our specialty, but over the
years I've rebuilt quite a few and have not regretted doing any of them.

-- ddf

(OK, for all you Eudora fans, it's back to "ddf." At least for now. Maybe when Eudora grows up I can
use my VCard again.)

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: vcard.vcf
Type: text/x-vcard