Bandsaw Advice

Wed, 05 Nov 1997 21:56:44 -0800

Lance Lafargue wrote:

> Dearest List,
> I am shopping for a new bandsaw and thought I had made a decision, but
> after a bad report from the owner of the saw I had decided on, I'm not
> sure.  I am looking for a good saw that I don't have to spend lots of time
> adjusting.  I plan to use it for various shop procedures and some medium
> duty woodworking.  I had hoped for a Delta 14", but the cost for it ($750
> plus attachments) is a lot of money to me.  I've heard Bill Spurlock and
> others praise the Grizzly that is comparable in many ways($300) but tonight
> I got a bad report from a friend who said his kept going out of alignment,
> etc.
>
> I KNOW Delta is good, but three times the price good?  How 'bout other
> brands?  The Delta will run me $1100-$1200 after a miter guide, guides,
> fence, etc.  How 'bout best prices around? I've got other things I'd like
> to get and hate to sink more than I have to on one of them.  Thanks!
>
> Lance Lafargue, RPT
> New Orleans Chapter
> Covington, LA.
> lafargue@iamerica.net

Lance,

    We're currently using a Grizzly table saw and I don't think I'd buy another. We make it work,
but it also goes out of adjustment fairly often. That and the height adjustment wheel locking nut
keeps falling off. On the other hand, our Delta band saw just keeps on humming away. Except for
changing blades once in a while, we don't do much for it.

    By the way, save your money and don't buy the miter guide, guides, fence, etc. You probably
won't need them. A fence doesn't work very well on a band saw. I once had a miter guide but I've not
used it for so long I have no idea where it is. And any other guides you might need, you can make
fairly easily. Invest in a good book on using band saws if you're not familiar with their potential.

    Oh, yes, and shop around. These things are often heavily discounted. "Tools On Sale" has one
listed for $635.

Good luck,

-- ddf