Fwd: Uprights

Anne Beetem abeetem@wizard.net
Thu, 6 Nov 1997 08:12:55 -0500

At 06:26 AM 11/6/97 -0500, you wrote:
>In a message dated 97-11-06 05:34:52 EST, Billbrpt writes:
>
> I'm very happy to see people talking about the value in quality workmanship
>with older Uprights.  Many of these instruments are of superior scale design
>and have beautiful veneer.
>     You can lead the customer on over a period of many years by starting
>with  some of the most obvious tasks that too many other technicians have
>felt were beneath their dignity.  A quality rebuilt older verticle of quality
>construction can have a sound and touch far superior to all but the most
>expensive verticles on the market today.
>      Why should we send a half a ton of hard rock maple, fine quality
>spruce, brass and cast iron to a land fill?  We can do better than that!
>      Bill Bremmer RPT
>       Madison, Wisconsin
>

>  >>

Hear, hear!  It would also send a message to the manufacturers of the cheap
nonsense.  I maintain poor knowledge is why people buy those anyway.  I've
also restored turn of the century uprights to the absolute surprised delight
of the owners, who had only hoped for modest restoration of a sentimental
piece of family history.  Besides the solidity of construction, the high
quality materials, the wood is beautiful beneath the cracked darkened finishes.
   Thanks to Bill for mentioning the landfill aspect.  Our throwaway society
needs a wake-up call.
Anne Beetem
Harpsichords & Historic Pianos