Fwd: Uprights

Danny Moore danmoore@ih2000.net
Thu, 06 Nov 1997 10:07:06 -0600

Billbrpt@aol.com wrote:

>  I'm very happy to see people talking about the value in quality workmanship
> with older Uprights.

Bill & anyone else interested in old uprights,

I suggest that an important moral aspect of the technician's job is knowing WHICH
older pianos are worthy of investment and which ones were poorly designed, poorly
built PSOs when they were new.

Not long ago, a list contributer stated that if a piano was worth, say $500
before repairs, and it had $1500 worth of work done to it, it should be valued at
$2,000 after the work was completed.  I can think of many old pianos that would
not be worth $2000 - or $200 - under any circumstance.  Taking a customer's $1500
would, in that instance, merely be taking a customer's $1,500.

Everything build during the "golden era" does not have the quality of a M&H screw
stringer, a S&S or a 19th century Chickering.

Danny Moore
Houston Chapter