FYI: Plastic & its beginnings

Keith A. McGavern kam544@ionet.net
Thu, 06 Nov 1997 14:20:38 +0000

Dear list,

A customer asked about plastic and ivory which prompted me to wonder
when plastic first came on the scene.  I had always thought this century
was the age of plastics, but then again, some older uprights have
plastic keytops, soooooo....a search ensued and this is what came up:

http://www.pvc.org/factfile/intro.htm

      FROM STONE AGE TO POLYMER AGE

      Man has worked hard from earliest times to develop synthetic
materials which would offer benefits not found
      in the natural products around him.

      Since its first development in the 19th century one such material
is to be found everywhere in modern-day
      society ... synthetic plastic.

      Cellulose nitrate was one of the first synthetic plastics.
Discovered by Alexander Parkes in the middle of the
      last century, it was first put on show at London's Great
Exhibition in 1862 and was used for such things as
      shoe soles and billiard balls.

      John Wesley Hyatt improved cellulose nitrate by blending it with
camphor in 1869 and called his new product
      Celluloid. This early plastic became popular for use as combs,
buttons and cutlery handles...

(There is more text + graphics at this site)

Keith A. McGavern
kam544@ionet.net
Registered Piano Technician
Piano Techicians Guild