No subject

stanwood stanwood@tiac.net
Sat, 08 Nov 1997 10:04:34 -0500

>Ted Wrote:

>The man you saw in Orlando with the narrow keys is David Steinbuhler, from
>Titusville, Pennsylvania. The company is D/S Keyboards, His son, Chase is
>in charge of production. The D stands for Chris Donison, who is the music
>director of the Shaw Festival, Niagara on the Lake, Ontario. David Stanwood
>gave them significant help in the design.

The help I gave is insignificant compared to the technical difficulties
Steinbuhler has overcome to make narrow keyboards for any piano.  All I did
was teach him how to assess pre existing touchweight metrology parameters,
particularly in regards to identifying and correcting key ratios.

This is a particular problem with Steinway pianos whose key ratios vary
widely from piano to piano.  They had made a narrow keyboard for a Steinway
B with a high key weight ratio.  As a result, it felt unwell.  David had
faithfully copied the pre existing key weight ratio. I taught him how to
redesign new key ratios in order to achieve a desired overall action weight
ratio.  He has a CNC router that works from a program.  All he has to do is
type in the new Key Weight Ratio as well as other basic action dimensions.

Quite incredible stuff they are doing!!!

David Stanwood