Da Buzz!

Edward Carwithen musicman@eoni.com
Sat, 08 Nov 1997 16:38:01 -0800

I have a lovely lady who lives on a farm established at turn of the
century.  She has a Lyon and Healey piano, Serial 27951, that according to
my atlas was made in 1915.  It has two strings per note rather than three,
is a shortened keyboard (didn't count, but about 66 keys), and spinet
style.  The lady loves her little piano, but it is driving me crazy.  2
months ago, had a service call because one of the notes had a buzz.  I
discovered that the sound board was separating due to water damage.  How
old the damage was I don't know.  Don't remember it from the previous
tuning.  Managed to get the offending ply back against the rest of the board.

  Oh yes, first tuning I had to bring it up 66 cents, broke 5 strings, and
finally left it flat 25 cents.  It didn't seem to want to get up the last
few cents to 440.  Maybe it was designed to be at A-435 in the first
place... who knows?

  Any...way......  Today more emergency.  Buzz in several notes in center
of piano.  What would be A4 in a normal piano, and several others do have a
buzz like something touching the string...almost like a paper clip.
Nothing is touching the string.  The metal parts seem to be firm and tight.
 I double checked the tightness of the plate screws.

  But I am of the opinion that the soundboard is providing the noise, and
the piano is just not worth the expense of repair.  Taking a cue from Isaac
Sadigursky, I told her that the piano had passed its useful life, and "she
deserved a better piano."
  She was not happy with the opinion, but accepted that I was not able to
come up with a solution to the buzzing sound.
  I told her that I would put the problem on the net to the real brains in
the organization, and see what you guys have to offer.

  The ball is now in your court.  What's the verdict???
Your best shot ...
Ed Carwithen
Oregon