SAT QUESTION - clarification

Vanderhoofven dkvander@clandjop.com
Sun, 09 Nov 1997 12:43:50 -0600

Dear Phil,

The PTG Tuning Exam is given to test how well a piano technician can tune
the exam piano compared to a good AURAL tuning of that particular piano.
The exam piano is meticulously tuned AURALLY by three RPTs (one of whom is
a CTE).  After the Master Tuning is agreed upon by all three RPT's (You try
to get any three technicians agree about the proper way to do anything!),
the pitch of each note is measured and recorded by a suitable electronic
pitch measuring device, such as the SAT or the RCT.

After the piano is detuned, the examinee is given a certain time limit to
tune the piano.  The results of that tuning are again recorded by an
electronic tuning dvevice such as the SAT or RCT.  The two tunings are
compared, and any discrepancies between the two are noted, and aurally
verified.  In fact, if the discrepancy cannot be aurally verified, that
particular note is not counted wrong.

Just so you know, the PTG tuning exam compares an examinees best effort to
tune the exam piano compared to a careful AURAL tuning of that exact piano.
 The ETD is used ONLY for measuring and recording the pitch of the
individual notes.

At 10:06 AM 11/9/97 -0500, you wrote:
>..well, i suppose this is partially correct..I was informed that the piano I
>will be tested on has the tuning stored in an SAT and the *numbers* that are
>stored are the combined efforts of an Aural and Visual tuning on this
piano..

The numbers that are stored are the results of an AURAL tuning, not an
Aural and Visual tuning.

>..i will be asked to set a temperment and tune to the break..then i will be
>tested against what is stored in the SAT..
>
>..i will stand at ease, *partially* corrected ( couldn't resist! )..
> Phil Bondi

Good Luck, Phil!

David

David A. Vanderhoofven, RPT