Small size keyboard

stanwood stanwood@tiac.net
Mon, 10 Nov 1997 07:30:06 -0500

Forgot to mention that I had a narrow keyboard made for an Ivers & Pond
upright a few years back.  The client wanted to play tenths for Stride
piano.  Frank Von Volkenburg made it.

It took a while to figure out how to switch keyboards in and out easily.
Out was no problem but sliding in was becasue the capstans would jam against
the sticker cloth1.  Finally found you could shoe horn the keyboard in by
temporarily laying a piece of sheet metal across the tops of the capstans,
allowing them to slip under the stickers.

The piano was in the shop for a while and I would ask people to try it out
without warning them as to the change.  They would always freek because
everything came out wrong until they realized what was going on.  Then they
would have to look at the keys and make the adjustment.  One day a blind
piano player came by and he sat down and played ragtime as if nothing was
different.  Then he turned his head slightly towards me and said, while
playing, "Yah...I know what ya did...

David Stanwood