Renner Lite Hammers (was Let's talk about light.......)

stanwood stanwood@tiac.net
Mon, 10 Nov 1997 14:58:19 -0500

Hi Ed,

I changed the "Subject" so that someone scanning subjects would catch on to
the subject matter of this conversation.

Regarding the Renner Light hammers... It would be informative if you could
tell us some sample ready-to-hang hammer weights across the scale.  Then we
know what you are talking about.

Here is a frame of reference:

                      HAMMER WEIGHT ZONE GUIDELINES (in Grams)

              Low              Medium          High

16      5.8             8.0             9.9             12.2

40      4.9             6.8             8.6             10.6

64      3.5             5.1             6.7              8.3

I would measure ready to hang hammers 15, 16, & 17.  Average their weight
and call it the average weight for hammers around note 16.  Refer to the
table etc.

Let us know what you come up with and then we can have a discussion based on
a frame of reference.

>From my experiance I find that light zone hammers have a beautiful sound
when they are soft.  Probably the best example of this is a cold pressed
light zone hammer
The sound is Small and Beautiful.  The cold pressing maintains maximum
resiliancy in the felt.

Light zone hammers are more sensitive than medium or full zone hammers, to
beeing overhardened by hot pressing in the manufacturing process or by the
techician over lacquering them.  They need less pressing or hardening than a
heavier hammer or the tone will get tone gets worse the softer you play.  Is
your piano showing this symptom?

For instance: if you use the same technique that you successfully use
hardening up a soft full zone Steinway hammer don't use the same formula on
a light zone hammer or you'll be in for a shock.

David C. Stanwood