Inharmonicity

Bob Anderson fndango@azstarnet.com
Mon, 10 Nov 1997 18:34:25 -0700

Bob Sadowski's and Del Fandrich's latest postings have hit a point that
should be of concern to us all. We need help in improving string scales.
To those of you who are doing it, let us cheer you on. I can appreciate
the value of historical references. But I can also appreciate the
attempts to improve on developments at any point in history. We can work
around the problems in any piano as we try to tune it. That is part of
our job and part of the fun (or headache?) of our work. But think of the
satisfaction of tuning a piano that falls comfortably into place
tuning-wise. We owe that sort of experience to those designers who have
done a good job all-round. We need the Del Fandrich's of our world to
help us out to create instruments which are friendly to tuning.

Bob Anderson
Tucson, AZ